Top 5 Best Sewing Machine for Beginners 2018
A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. The gurus in tailoring also started somewhere. Using the best sewing machine for beginner helps you acquire the right skills. There are numerous sewing machines on the market and deciding the right one that suits your needs is hard. Therefore, having proper knowledge about the various machines is crucial. In this article, we discuss five best sewing machine for the money available in the market including their merits and demerits to help you decide wisely when buying a sewing machine.
1. Singer 1507WC Easy-to-Use Free-Arm Sewing Machine
As a beginner and looking for a machine to help you with essential sewing projects, this machine is perfect. With its eight in-built stitches, you have a variety to choose from fashion sewing, decorative sewing, crafts and home decorating sewing.
Moreover, the machine has an automatic bobbin winding clutch in that the needle bar automatically disengages while winding the bobbin making it safer. With the eight stitches, it gives you an option to adjust the stitch length and zigzag width into what works for you and your project. It is also easy to select the stitch that you want to use by use of a dial.
On top of the excellent services it offers, it comes with free accessories that range from canvas dust cover, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, sewing foot, seam guide, package of needles, foot pedal, instruction manual among others.
- Eight stitches that are easy to select and use.
- The machine comes with free accessories for example seam ripper, darning plate among others.
- The machine comes with a canvas cover.
- Adjustable stitch length and zigzag width
- Easy threading
- Free arm available
- Able to sew heavy fabrics like jeans and denim
- The bobbin winder is vertical, and if you’re not used to it, it’s hard to start the machine.
- It might be hard to sew over existing hem and once it gets stuck, the thread breaks.
2. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine For Beginner
Janome 2212 works for both beginners and experts with the unique features that make it possible to perform different tasks. The machine has twelve in-built stitches and a four-step buttonhole. It has an option of adjusting the stitch length and width to enable you to work with the stitches that work for you. For long-term quilters, the machine performs well in quilting. If you want to select a stitch, there is a stitch selector dial. The machine has got a thread cutter as well as a bunch of free accessories; foot control, needle set, screwdriver, seam ripper, vinyl dust cover, zipper foot, instruction book, buttonhole foot, bobbin and blind foot.
- Easy to use
- It has a free arm
- Able to sew through thick layers
- Easy to load the bobbin or replace with a new one.
- Janome 2212 Sews fast to the advantage of a professional.
- Easy to clear thread jams.
- Good for quilting.
- Very light
- The thread spoon holders are weak and metallic ones would do.
- Though its light weight is good for portability, it might slide around the table while using it.
3. Janome 8002D Serger Adjustable cutting
A machine that walks with you through the journey of sewing from being a beginner to a professional is a plus. With Janome 8002D, it gives your work a professional look and helps you get a super good finishing of your project. The machine supports you in finishing seams and easy rolled hems. 8002D Serger has three or four thread overlock stitching compatibility which is essential in completing the seams. Also, it has a built-in rolled hem that rolls the fabric over itself to hide the fabric’s edges giving a smooth finish.
- It has a small size.
- Accompanied by accessories for example; two screwdrivers, a package of needles and tweezers.
- Able to sew through thick and thin materials with ease
- Easy to use
- Threading may challenge a first time user of the machine.
4. Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine With 60 Built-In Stitches
There is so much to be offered by this machine. With all its unique features, it gives you a mind-blowing experience during your sewing project. The machine has sixty built-in stitches which you can choose from and adjust their length and width. The stitches are for sewing and decoration purposes. You can sew and quilt with the same machine comfortably and be able to change the sewing speed to your preference.
With this machine, you can choose from the seven styles of one-step buttonholes to suit all your projects.
- Simple to use and comes with a manual guide in English and Spanish.
- Easy bobbin winding
- A high speed of sewing
- Easy to use with the computerized control and display
- The bobbin thread gets pulled up and catches on the fabric, creating a knot that’s hard to cut without removing the bobbin.
5. Singer Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine, Metal Frame and Stainless Steel BedPlate
The machine can tackle heavy work with ease. With the eleven built-in stitches; six basic stitches and four decorative stitches, you have a wide variety to choose. It also has four presser feet that cover your sewing work. Furthermore, there is an automatic needle threader and three needle positions which make your job easier. The stitch length and width is also adjustable, and it comes with lots of accessories from presser feet to seam rippers and dust cover.
- A high speed of sewing; one thousand stitches per minute
- Stainless steel bed helps material slide over it without friction during sewing.
- Singer 4411 Sews through heavy fabrics like leather and jeans with ease.
- The machine has a nice combination of stitches.
- It has an adjustable presser foot pressure.
- It is loud while in use.
- Because it is light, it can be dragged around the table by heavy fabric.
How to choose a Sewing Machine for beginner?
As a beginner, there are specific features that you should look for in a sewing machine. A straight stitch is a primary feature that helps you in stitching. A bobbin winder that is easy to use is also a plus, and a free arm capability will help you a great deal. Also, look for a machine that is adjustable regarding sewing speed not to have a rough time during sewing. A presser foot is also key and a needle that is easy to load a thread. With these essential features, you’ll be able to handle your simple project comfortably.
If you want a sewing machine for beginner that costs less than one hundred Dollars and delivers excellent services to you, the following are some of the machines to consider buying. Brother XM2701 lightweight sewing machine with twenty-seven stitches, Singer 1304 free arm sewing machine, Brother XM1010 with ten stitches and Janome Sew mini sewing machine with two stitches just to mention a few. If you’re a beginner in sewing and planning to buy the best sewing machine for the money, I hope this information helps you in acquiring a machine that suits your specific needs and help you do your projects.